Ewa Agoyin is a popular delicacy among the Yoruba tribe in Nigeria. Although, this delicacy is loved by other tribes who have come to know the dish. Ewa Agoyin is made from beans and pepper sauce. This is where it gets tricky – your Ewa Ayogin and sauce have to be made in special ways else, you would simply be making beans and pepper sauce.
A talented food vendor, Boliquagrillz, will be letting us in on how to make the dish and also, the secret to making Ewa Agoyin sauce. Let’s get started.
Ingredients for Ewa Agoyin
White eyed beans
1 Onion bulb
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
Making your Ewa Agoyin is not difficult.
- Take the amount of beans you want to cook and pick it (You have to pick your beans if it is not already picked). This is to make sure that it is void of stones and dirt.
- Once your beans is clean, wash with ample water and drain with a sieve. Then place a saucepan on your stove and pour some water in it. Allow this to boil for about 5 minutes before adding your washed beans.
- Cover your saucepan with its lid. Then, proceed to peel your onions and wash. Slice the onions and add to the beans.
- Cover until it has cooked for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add your sliced onion and salt. You may add some more water if necessary. You must allow your beans to cook until it is very soft.
- Once you attain this texture, stir properly with your spatula and make there is no water in it. Once you have achieved that, your Ewa Agoyin is ready.
- Let’s move on to making the sauce.
Ingredients for Ewa Agoyin Sauce
Dried Chili Pepper
2 Onion bulbs
Dry Pepper Seeds
Prep time: 20mins | Cook time: 2 hours | Difficulty: Easy
You should start by preparing your chili pepper mix.
- Soak your dried chilli pepper with your cayenne pepper for 1hour, add crayfish and one onion bulb and blend. Then, proceed by placing your frying pan or saucepan (depending on what pan you are most comfortable with) on low heat.
- Pour your palm oil into the pan and bleach it. Once your palm oil is bleached, add 1 sliced onion bulb and fry until it is golden brown.
- Then, add in your dry chilli pepper and fry until it dry. It must be dry because this helps you achieve that distinct Ewa Agoyin flavour, taste and texture. Continue to stir.
- You must stir continuously to make sure your sauce does not get burnt while trying to achieve that dry texture. The trick is to make sure you stir and ensure the palm oil is enough.
- While stirring, add your ginger powder, garlic powder, dry pepper seeds and seasoning powder and stir until it is completely dry and void of water.
- You will know your sauce is ready when it is black. Make sure the bleached palm oil is in excess. That’s how it is meant to be.
Your Ewa Agoyin and Ewa Agoyin Sauce is ready to serve and eat.
See also: How to use Marijuana to relief pain